Monday, August 29, 2005

Sweating

Not really, but it does conjure a visual, doesn't it? When you think of "sweating," you probably either picture yourself or someone else perspiring and usually it's a pretty gross mental image. When I think of sweating, I think of myself in the first 24 hours after Liam was born, sweating like a pig in my hospital room. I wanted to lay with no covers on but I was in a hospital gown and my thighs were like liquid tree trunks from the IV. So we would close the door but get no circulation of air. Then a visitor would come and I'd have to cover up again and think about the wet trickle running down my sides. Later, I figured out that it was my milk coming in.

But I digress...

I'm not sweating in that highly visual and pretty disgusting way. I'm mentally sweating. We are six days and counting from Liam's first birthday party (note that is the day of the party not the actual birthDAY). So I'm here sweating the small stuff (damn that guy and his book - if you don't sweat the small stuff, what do you have left to bitch about?).

Here is a mass of thoughts that are swirling in my head at any given moment, but ALWAYS as I lay awake at night.

Will he take a good nap that morning? Will he like his presents? Please God make him like all his presents? Will there be enough food? How about parking? Will everyone get along? Will Dan stand in front of the grill the whole time? Should I share my bottle of wine or stash it in the bathroom cabinet for hourly swigs per usual? Erhm. Ah. I...mean...

Wonder if Liam's allergic to the chocolate icing on the cake? Ooooh what about eggs? What should I get put on the cake? Will everyone mingle or will they set up separate family camps? Will everyone get enough Liam time? Where else can I hide some wine? Oooh yeah. No. I... mean...

When should we cut the cake? Do we open presents in front of everyone knowing he'll lose interest quickly? What if he throws a gift across the room? Where is that wine??? I thought I left it in the fridge goddamnit... did I drink it already??!

Once the party day is here, I always have a good time. I hope for the best as far as the attendees mingling and enjoying themselves. But before the event, my Type A sweat-the-small-stuff mind goes into overdrive and makes me absolutely insane. I drive Dan a wee bit crazy as well.

Hopefully the weather won't be too humid, our A/C will work and I won't have to work the party in my hospital gown.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:36 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hmmm, now I know where to find the wine! Hope to see you ... even for a short visit! Long enough to drop a gift ;)

     
  • At 12:29 PM, August 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm thinking maybe I should send you a case of wine for Liam's party. Yes?

     
  • At 4:30 PM, August 30, 2005, Blogger WILLIAM said…

    seriously don't sweat it. Easier said than done. I know you were not looking for advice, but having experienced this just 6 months ago...
    I suggest you give him a taste of the Chocolate Icing in the next day or two. Two things will be accomplished you will find out if he is allergic and alo if he even likes it. You want to get the pictures of him smeared with the stuff and if he does not like it, that won't happen.
    Wait until everyone leaves to open gifts. It always takes to long and not only will Liam lose interest but so will your guests. Also If Grandpa #1 gets a bigger and better gift for Liam than Grandpa # 2 it may look like a competition. You don't want that. Also if there are duplicates or things you don't want you can return them in secret.

    And lastly, Wine leaves stains on the carpet and clothes. I would hide VODKA in the bathroom. It also does not smell as potent on your breath.

     
  • At 7:59 AM, August 31, 2005, Blogger Jewl said…

    OH
    My
    God...
    The word Relax keeps forming in my brain... I wonder why?
    Good Lord woman, just enjoy the day and screw everything else. This is your son's very first Birthday...Take it in, the other stuff doesn't matter!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home