Saturday, June 04, 2005

Rock-a-Bon-Jovi

Tonight I put Liam down to sleep a little past seven p.m. He rolled over and started talking to his blankets and rubbing the satin side against his face as usual (VERY CUTE - if you don't think it's cute then something inside of you must have died!)

Liam is a dream sleeper (*knock-on-wood* I always feel the need to do that when talking about Liam's sleep habits). I helped him along a bit but he has slept through the night since about 2 months - with only one month off because of a growth spurt. But Liam is also a big baby. Some say big babies sleep better because their bodies don't startle as easy. I think he took pity on his sleep deprived parents and figured he torture us some other way in the future. I always hesitate to tell other new moms of his great sleeping habits because I usually get a response of "That's wonderful" gritted through teeth in a tone that tells me if I wanted - they'd switch babies with me - right then and there.

Since he was about 5 months old we have put Liam down at 7 p.m. awake and he sleeps straight through until 6:30-7 a.m. Please stop throwing things! Because I have to tell you now that he also takes two close to 2-hour naps a day. Oh how I live for nap time! That's when I draw the curtains and do tequila shots until he wakes up. He has to change MY diaper after he takes a random 3-hour nap.

We have had a time or two when we had to use the c.i.o. (for non-new-parent-message-board-addicts that means 'cry it out.') But because he is such a good sleeper - if he wakes and is really crying I will take him from the crib and drug him - I mean - rock him until he is either asleep or calm/drowsy. We do the same if he has trouble falling asleep. Usually he has trouble falling asleep because his "roll to sleep" (a continual roll - over and over again until he passes out from exhaustion) didn't work and his binky has gotten lodged underneath him (or - in his opinion - LOST. FOREVER. OH. MY. GOD. QUE LASTIMA! - yes, in fits of rage Liam has moments of bilingual thought.)

Tonight Liam's "roll to sleep" failed and his binky was OBVIOUSLY GONE FOREVER. So I went up. I wiped his somewhat sweaty brow (continuous rolling is hard work for a 26lb baby!) and lifted him from the crib. I located his binky - IN THE BLACK HOLE, MAMA - tangled in his sheets. I returned his prize possession - YOU ARE A GODDESS AMONG MAMAS - and brought him over to the rocking chair.

He was looking at me with wonder since I was able to REACH INTO THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE and return the binky. It was also because I had my glasses on, having taken out my contacts after he went to bed. So we rocked a bit and I sang "Rock-a-Bye-Baby" softly to him. He seemed to like it so I tried to think of another song. I couldn't! Words failed me. I considered Tora Lora Lora but I don't have much of a brogue. So I softly sang the next song that came to my head.

Tommy's got his six-string in hock
Now he's holding in what he used to make it talk
So tough, it's tough
And Gina dreams of running away
When she cries in the night
Tommy whispers, Baby it's ok... Someday
We've got to hold on to what we've got
'Cause it doesn't make a difference if we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot
For love... we'll give it a shot

Whoa, We're halfway there
Oh-oh, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it I swear
Oh-oh, livin' on a prayer

Sometimes you do the best you can with what you've got, like Tommy and Gina. Rock-a-Bon-Jovi, baby!

12 Comments:

  • At 10:17 PM, June 04, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    first off--- BITCH!!!! BITCH BITCH YOU BITCH BITCH BITCH!!!!

    oops... I mean... I'm so happy Liam is such a good sleeper!


    just kidding... it took rhena 6 months and a few time zone changes, but once she got the hang of it, we haven't looked back.... god bless the 7pm-7am hours, huh???


    had enough of Bon-Jovi growing up... did I tell you he's from my hometown? GAG.... I remember when 'slippery when wet' was all the rage and stuff... there were signs all over the damn place saying how sayreville was "the boyhood home of legendary rocker Bon Jovi".... again, I say GAG.

    I recently petitioned the mayor to put up signs saying that sayreville was "the girlhood home of legendary blogger Carrie Czernikowski".... but they charge by the letter, and sayreville is on a tight budget this year. There was a small snag with me changing my name, too... but the budget was the main reason.


    I digress.

    I stick more to my original songs (one of these days I'll actually record what I come up with...) or Kool and the Gang. Nothing says momma-loves-her-baby-girl like cooing 'Ladies Night' off-key.


    if you and Ang are lucky... maybe I'll sing you two to sleep in October??? only the best for my LOVAHS....

     
  • At 7:24 AM, June 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    omg Suz! you came clean with your dirty little secret - your sleeping baby.... Well, I love you anyway............ ha ha ha ha.

    oh, and ditto Carrie - BITCH!

    love you...

     
  • At 9:53 AM, June 05, 2005, Blogger Susie said…

    First of all - NO TRASHING BON JOVI ON MY BLOG! For many years I was going to marry Jon. Dan came along and that was the end of that!

    Second - your evil thoughts got to Liam last night and he woke at 5:30AM! For the first time in FOREVER! Ugh!

    Love you both! ;)

     
  • At 10:30 AM, June 05, 2005, Blogger Melissa said…

    I hate you, I hate you....just joking...you are lucky to have such a good sleeper!!
    Bon Jovi...lol...Garrison can sympathize.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, June 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh my lord- i almost peed myself laughing as i wasn picturing you rocking liam an singing bon jovi! too funny.

    when asked about dov's sleep habits we ofter reply 'we don't talk about that.' no reason to tempt the evil eye right? now you must write an entry on what a HORRIBLE sleeper liam is (wink, wink)!

    love ya-
    jody

     
  • At 1:52 PM, June 05, 2005, Blogger Taylor said…

    Tristyn is also a very good sleeper. I have been blessed also with a sleeping machine! I am scared to have a second child because I know that it will be a terror! LOL!

    What board do you chat on? I would love to do something like that!

     
  • At 9:04 PM, June 05, 2005, Blogger Susie said…

    Taylor - I have a great group of gals that I chat with regularly from babycenter.com's message boards. We actually have been chatting for over a year. Babycenter has some GREAT groups. Our group got so tight that we actually "left" babycenter.com and one of the hubby's created us a private site so we could talk more "openly" without worrying about stalkers, freaks, etc.

    Blogs are like message boards too sometimes. Especially when a comments section gets hopping.

    Melissa - Bon Jovi makes a great lullaby ;) And when Garrison is sleeping through Liam will probably stop so how's that?

    Jody - I know - I was totally cursing myself at 5:30 this AM. I should've KNOWN better than to blog about it! Oh well - hoping for tomorrow!

     
  • At 2:51 PM, June 06, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    that's it... I'm going to SING any time I talk to anyone now!!!!

    STARTING THIS WEEKEND!!!!

    mu-hah-hah-hah!!!!

     
  • At 4:22 PM, June 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (your site wasn't working in my normal browser, I've missed posts!)

    we've been lucky with clark's sleeping habits too. E was tougher. The other thing I can brag about is that clark's never wanted a binky. After goign through two binky fairies, this was a pleasant surprise. He sucks his thumb a little bit, when he's tired and we're holding him, but I don't think he sleeps with it. I don't konw, we don't peek in on him because he always seems to be awake/wakes up when we do!

    -Mac

     
  • At 4:29 PM, June 06, 2005, Blogger Susie said…

    Mac - That's great about Clark sleeping so well. I'm not real worried about Liam's binky. He only wants it for falling asleep. Once he's asleep it gets lost in his blanky. There are so many other issues that can pop up I've decided the binky just wasn't something I was going to fight. He only gets it in the crib or in a stressful situation - like after shots or when he's ready to blow at the grocery store. If he doesn't have it in the crib he sucks on his blanket which is nasty.

     
  • At 9:23 PM, June 06, 2005, Blogger Jewl said…

    Em has always been a great sleeper too... Of course I find a need to worry about that and check to make sure she is still alive about 100 times a night. She is so lucky to have such a freak for a mother!

     
  • At 12:47 PM, June 08, 2005, Blogger carlotta said…

    A kid I used to babysit was fond of being rocked to "I'll Be There For You." The secret is out. Bon Jovi puts kids to sleep.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home