Wednesday, July 20, 2005

People. I'm tired. I want my TV.

I am laying acorss my bed, relishing the first real alone time I've had all day. No dogs even! And I'm just sitting here trying to pull together something to post about. And the only thing that keeps coming through the keys is "I'm tired."

I have a new book, just laying here. No, it's not Harry Potter. Reading about magic doesn't do it for me. Not my genre. I like the movies, I just don't read the books. I don't begrudge anyone who reads the books. Especially adults. Some of the better books written are geared towards children.

See how easily I digress? Tired!

This book is laying here, just waiting for me to crack the spine, smooth the crisp white pages, and get reading. But I'm too tired. With me and books, it's like an addiction. Once I start, I have a hard time stopping. I want to know what happens next... and next... and next. It's really bad. I stay up too late reading. I used to sneak read at work if it was a really good book. So it's not just a leisurely thing. I devour. I'm too tired to devour.

I'm tired of nothing good being on TV. TV sucks in the summer. The only good part is that you can catch shows that you didn't get to see the first run. With DVR and Tivo, this is increasingly more difficult. If you are interested in a show that conflicts with another one you watch - you just record it. We always had a full queue of shows waiting to be watched during the regular season. So that leaves some pretty slim pickings for the summer. There are only a couple of shows I'm trying to watch right now.

First, House. House is real good. I like the curmudgeonly cranky drug addict doctor a lot. So, apparently, do his peers, as he was just nominated for an Emmy. The only downfall to the show is that, with the exception of getting more and more info about House, the same thing happens every episode. Someone breaks something in their body. They come in. House gets the case because no one knows what it is. His crack team of doctor's all research and try to figure it out. They always misdiagnose and give the wrong medication. More bad things happen. A real gross episode had a guy basically bleeding out of every orafice. It was nasty. They always figure out the illness at the end. But it isn't always nicely packaged a la ER. Good TV, right there. I think we missed it during the regular season because it was opposite The Amazing Race.

I'm also watching a new series called The Closer. It's pretty good. First Kyra Sedgwick (Mrs. Kevin Bacon. Mmmmm Bacon. I like bacon - UGH See I digress again!). She plays a southern belle with this lilting accent. The accent grated on me a bit the first time I watched it. Now I don't notice it as much as the show is getting better. This past week's episode was REAL good. Though whomever decided to cast Meredith Baxter in a guest role must have had to come up with some serious coin to tear her away from her career on the Lifetime Movie Channel.

I have a policy for days when there is nothing on TV. It's the Law & Order Rule. When there is nothing but lame reality shows about superfreaks dancing and hooligans at camp and becoming Tommy Hilfiger's biatch, there is ALWAYS an episode of Law & Order to fall back on. ALWAYS. Whether it's on NBC any given night of the week, or on TNT or USA. Right now I'm watching an old school Law & Order episode with Benjamin Bratt on TNT, but only because I had already seen the L&O: SVU episode on USA. And after this episode is over, I can watch anotehr one. And another. Dan used to come home every night last summer and hear the telltale "doink, doink." "Watching Law & Order, honey?" "You know it, Brisco!"

I also watch the Red Sox. Yes, I do. No, I really do. I usually can't just sit and watch it though. I have to be surfing the internet or blogging. I just glance up at it time to time.

So during the day, Liam cracks the whip and I'm running. But at night. I'm tired. I want my TV.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:53 PM, July 20, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    Get some rest Pooks ... TV will be back in the Fall :) Better get friendly with the ol' Netflix until then. That means WATCH the movies that have been sitting on your TV for over a month :)

     
  • At 10:06 PM, July 20, 2005, Blogger Susie said…

    I'll have you know the movies are all new. It's hard to watch a movie with the husband when he doesn't come away from the treadmill til 9pm and you pass out at 10pm. Don't be a hater!

     
  • At 11:50 PM, July 20, 2005, Blogger Kami said…

    I'm with ya, sister. My boss cracks the whip all day long...

     
  • At 11:35 AM, July 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    susie-q- how about some shows on dvd? we here in the brooklyn wilds have perhaps a bit too much love for buffy the vampire slayer. a bit less love but love nontheless for its spinoff angel. loved joss' show firefly and the movie is coming out in september. also sportsnight -aaron sorkin pre-west wing and peter karuse pre-six feet under. LOVE IT! we have heard good stuff about arrested development too. i say this all because i know all too well the feeling at the end of the day where even holding the book to read it is too much and all you want is a little tv, preferably without commercials and then glorious sleepy bed!

     
  • At 11:54 AM, July 21, 2005, Blogger WILLIAM said…

    What's the book? Maybe I missed the mention of it..but the whole time I was reading this post I was saying "What book? Author?"

     
  • At 8:19 AM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    damnit damnit damnit!!!!!


    I just remembered I forgot to watch the soyouwannabeadancer show!!!

    DAMNIT!!!!! I even forgot to set the dvr.... are they going to replay the first episode do you know?


    ARRRRGH! I always lose touch with life when the parents visit....

     
  • At 8:24 AM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    and oh yeah... HAPPY BIRTHDAY, you old bag!!! ;) I love you!!!!


    ok... gotta get back to my parents!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home