Friday, July 15, 2005

Pet Peeve #154

I hate it when I hear mothers refer to their boobs/breastfeeding as NUMMIES or NUMSIES. WTF?! If the kid is calling them that - they got the name from somewhere - and I find it hard to believe that the kids are all making up the same name on their own.

Sure, call the pet a "doggie" and call the bottle a "baw baw" if you must - but let's leave it at that. Though I have a similar distate for grown ups using "wahwah" for water. Wah-TER. The baby may say "wahwah" but you aren't helping her learn by initiating "Want some wahwah?"

3 Comments:

  • At 12:50 PM, July 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I HATE baby talk too!! How are they going to learn the right way??
    That brings me to another pet peeve of mine...there is this stupid character on Sesame Street named Baby Bear. Only he says Baby Beaw. The 'r' impediment. UGH. I always mute the tv when he's on and Mat thinks I'm nuts. But seriously, my child is learning to talk!! Teach her the RIGHT way. Then if she has trouble, we'll work on it.
    Whew. Guess you touched a nerve in me, too! =)

     
  • At 12:53 PM, July 15, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    can I get a "Hell yeah" ????


    I can NOT STAND IT when people use baby talk.... ESPECIALLY when a child is learning to talk!! goo goo and gaa gaa when they aren't talking, fine. but repeating a lisping child or one who shortens every word is just reinforcing their bad habits.

    understand your child's own attempts at language, yes. applaud them for trying, yes. use the same words so they do not learn the proper pronunciation??? tsk tsk tsk....

     
  • At 3:50 PM, July 15, 2005, Blogger WILLIAM said…

    I am in total agreement with this.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home