Friday, July 22, 2005

The Blessed Day

Thirty-four years ago today I was born.

Not sure how to follow THAT up.

I was actually thinking about birthdays and typically the only ones that stand out are really good ones or really bad ones.

Worst
My twenty-sixth birthday found me living in an apartent in Alexandria, VA. I had moved there to be with my then-boyfriend. Ya, I know. Anyway. He dumped me after two weeks and a week before my birthday. I had to live in the same apartment with him for an additional two weeks. I knew no one. I was living with him and his two female roommates. No worries about him living with girls as it later turns out HE WAS GAY. Ya, I know. Anyway. I had just started my job at Georgetown University. A job which was great. But I knew NO ONE. I spent most of my birthday working of course. Then the rest of it curled up in the fetal position in one of the girls' rooms. Crying. I cried a lot in those two weeks. One of the roommates ended up first finding me temporary housing for a month with a great couple in DC. She ended up moving out and into a new apartment with me (BLESS YOU, BRYR). The night of my birthday she was working which is why I was able to use her room for the nervous breakdown. When she got home I had resumed my spot on the living room couch to sleep. She brought home a cake. It was such a lovely gesture yet just cemented how pathetic that birthday had truly become.

Best
All of my childhood birthdays were great. They all sort of blend in to one memory. I remember Mum making chicken wings because I loved them (those drummettes with the batter). I had great cakes with rainbows and my favorite colors. I got great gifts like the Fisher-Price People Castle and a bike. I had parties with my family that often included my favorite cousins, Kerry and Amy. One year they covered me with coats in the back of their parents car so I could go stay with them at their house. My sister had a balloon-a-gram delivered one year. My birthdays as a kid were great.

Happy birthday to me. This year finds me the happiest I have probably ever been.

11 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Sarah said…

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SUUUUEE!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

    I know you wanted to hear my tone deaf voice singing today!!

    HAPPY BDAY! love, Sarah

     
  • At 10:08 AM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Kelli said…

    Hope this birthday can be the 'best' one you write about next year! You deserve it!
    Enjoy!

     
  • At 10:44 AM, July 22, 2005, Blogger AuroraLights said…

    Well, I have been reading your blog for a while now. I wanted to tell you that you are a riot. Truely. I look forward to your blog each and everyday while I sit at work and try to do work. You seem like a very upbeat, positive person. Don't you worry about that boyfriend in VA. You have obviously gone on to bigger and better things! Your little one is so beautiful. Your pictures come out really well. I can never seen to take such good ones. Just wanted to say Happy Birthday to you and wish you many more! Oh yes! And keep blogging!

     
  • At 11:53 AM, July 22, 2005, Blogger WILLIAM said…

    Happy day! Hope you enjoy it.
    I slept in my car for my 24th birthday. I was semi homeless at the time.

     
  • At 12:05 PM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Johnny Mac said…

    happy birthday queenie! (you must've escaped snappa birthday parties due to the summertime)

     
  • At 12:07 PM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Angela said…

    Have a wonderful birthday, Susie!

     
  • At 3:21 PM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Jenni said…

    Happy happy day, Susie! Like Jody said on NN, I'm glad you were born!! :)

     
  • At 7:42 PM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Kate said…

    Happy B-day Suz!

    lOVE YOU!!!

     
  • At 9:19 PM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Katy said…

    Happy Wonderful Birthday Susie-Q!

    Dylan sends kisses and hugs followed up by me.

    Enjoy!

     
  • At 1:59 AM, July 23, 2005, Blogger scrappintwinmom said…

    YOU'RE 34? NO FOCKING WAY! YOU TOTALLY DON'T LOOK 34! I WOULD'VE SAID 29...MAYBE 30...WHAT is YOUR SECRET!?

    Thought I'd return the favor. Happy Birthday! MWAH.

    ps. Love the July b'days, dontcha??

     
  • At 1:55 PM, July 25, 2005, Blogger Maria said…

    HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!

    Sorry I missed it. Hope you had a wonderful day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home