Friday, July 22, 2005

The Blessed Day

Thirty-four years ago today I was born.

Not sure how to follow THAT up.

I was actually thinking about birthdays and typically the only ones that stand out are really good ones or really bad ones.

Worst
My twenty-sixth birthday found me living in an apartent in Alexandria, VA. I had moved there to be with my then-boyfriend. Ya, I know. Anyway. He dumped me after two weeks and a week before my birthday. I had to live in the same apartment with him for an additional two weeks. I knew no one. I was living with him and his two female roommates. No worries about him living with girls as it later turns out HE WAS GAY. Ya, I know. Anyway. I had just started my job at Georgetown University. A job which was great. But I knew NO ONE. I spent most of my birthday working of course. Then the rest of it curled up in the fetal position in one of the girls' rooms. Crying. I cried a lot in those two weeks. One of the roommates ended up first finding me temporary housing for a month with a great couple in DC. She ended up moving out and into a new apartment with me (BLESS YOU, BRYR). The night of my birthday she was working which is why I was able to use her room for the nervous breakdown. When she got home I had resumed my spot on the living room couch to sleep. She brought home a cake. It was such a lovely gesture yet just cemented how pathetic that birthday had truly become.

Best
All of my childhood birthdays were great. They all sort of blend in to one memory. I remember Mum making chicken wings because I loved them (those drummettes with the batter). I had great cakes with rainbows and my favorite colors. I got great gifts like the Fisher-Price People Castle and a bike. I had parties with my family that often included my favorite cousins, Kerry and Amy. One year they covered me with coats in the back of their parents car so I could go stay with them at their house. My sister had a balloon-a-gram delivered one year. My birthdays as a kid were great.

Happy birthday to me. This year finds me the happiest I have probably ever been.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:59 AM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SUUUUEE!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

    I know you wanted to hear my tone deaf voice singing today!!

    HAPPY BDAY! love, Sarah

     
  • At 10:08 AM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope this birthday can be the 'best' one you write about next year! You deserve it!
    Enjoy!

     
  • At 11:53 AM, July 22, 2005, Blogger WILLIAM said…

    Happy day! Hope you enjoy it.
    I slept in my car for my 24th birthday. I was semi homeless at the time.

     
  • At 7:42 PM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy B-day Suz!

    lOVE YOU!!!

     
  • At 9:19 PM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Wonderful Birthday Susie-Q!

    Dylan sends kisses and hugs followed up by me.

    Enjoy!

     
  • At 1:59 AM, July 23, 2005, Blogger scrappintwinmom said…

    YOU'RE 34? NO FOCKING WAY! YOU TOTALLY DON'T LOOK 34! I WOULD'VE SAID 29...MAYBE 30...WHAT is YOUR SECRET!?

    Thought I'd return the favor. Happy Birthday! MWAH.

    ps. Love the July b'days, dontcha??

     

Post a Comment

<< Home