Friday, May 06, 2005

8 months... time flies

I haven't had time to post much this week. Today I realized why. I've been playing with Liam.

Liam is at this great age where he is so aware and responsive and excited. I mean think of it... he touches a spoon and it's like a new world has opened to him. It's a spoon! But it's cool to touch and smooth. It's hard and tastes funny when he bites it. It has curves and weight to it. He passes it from one hand to the other and turns it around, examining the basin, the neck and the handle. Biting and licking it. "It's a spoon!" I say and he looks at me as if to say, "Thank you for sharing this extraordinary creation! Are there more like this? Yes, my toys are great, but please, more of these wonderful strange things!"

Liam turned 8 months old on Sunday.

He's a bit longer, a teeny bit heavier but the changes are mostly within him. He likes to reach for me and leans in at my face with his mouth open, pressing it against my cheek or neck. I think these are the beginnings of kisses.

Liam likes to bounce. Bounce on your lap, bounce with his feet on the floor, bounce bounce bounce. And he loves to stand and he is starting to rest on his heels a bit more, bearing weight.

We've been signing to Liam for a bit over a month now. I'm not expecting to see a sign from him for another month or so. We're doing signs for milk, more, eat, dog, Mum, and Dad. He definitely knows what the signs for milk and eat mean. I may pass out when he does his first sign to me.

Liam cut his first tooth on Sunday with two more following this week. One of the two is out and the third is right below the surface. Yes, I said 3. Liam is not fooling around here people! He's seen us eat chicken and steak. He's eager. Sure most babies only get 2 bottom teeth at first. He has 3. I think he figures, at this rate, his birthday dinner in September can be a nice piece of steak.

Music has gotten Liam's attention. Whenever there is music on the TV, his head snaps around. He likes when I sing to him (at least someone does!) He also likes to see us dance. It's amazing the lengths a parent will go through to get a giggle from a child. I dance for Liam like Elaine from Seinfeld because it makes him laugh.

Liam can now roll from tummy to back. So in his crib I put him on his back, he immediately rolls to his tummy then pushes over to his back so he's pressing up against the rails of the crib. Sometimes in the night he gets disoriented and scared and cries out. When Liam is on the floor he's more willing to dive forward for a toy, ending up on his belly. Still no signs of crawling but he may go straight to walking. Who knows.

Liam, you are getting to be such a big boy. Sometimes I look at you and think "Don't go so fast, stay a while." Then when I am nursing you before bed, and you are curled up in my arms as we rock in the chair, I see all baby. Quiet sleepy baby.

You like to play and have fun. You love Daddy to lift you up high and turn you into an airplane. Lately that's the way he's been taking you upstairs to get in your pj's. You love it!

You seem to be relaxing a little bit more with other babies. They still stress you out a little and that's ok. I see you watch bigger kids running and playing and you laugh and start to move like you want to join in. Your whole body gets animated and you squeal.

I love when you put your arms around my neck and lean in and "kiss" my face. It is one of the best feelings I have ever experienced in my life. Thank you for that.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:17 AM, May 06, 2005, Blogger WILLIAM said…

    Max was/is a bouncer too. It is so much fun to watch.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, May 06, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    Happy eight months, Liam, Mum and Dad.....


    here's to many many more of wonderful discoveries, laughs, and big kisses.

    XXOO

     
  • At 3:41 PM, May 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You need to issue a mascara alert before those posts!
    Liam is lucky to have such a wonderful mum who notices and loves everything about him.

    He'll know this soon.

    Happy Mother's Day!

     
  • At 3:42 PM, May 06, 2005, Blogger Susie said…

    Kelli - mascara alert - so funny! hahahahaha

     
  • At 10:47 PM, May 06, 2005, Blogger Susie said…

    Liam is scrumptious; love the cheeks! Eight months is a most delightful age, as I recall from sooooo long ago, now. Happy Mother's Day, Susie:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home