Friday, September 16, 2005

Happy Birthday, Dan!

Today is Dan's birthday. He was born on this day many years ago. Ok, not as many years ago as me... Because he's still practically an embryo.

I want to thank his Mom and Dad today. Mary & Danny, thank you. I appreciate whatever you did to help Dan become who he is today. I'm so glad he was born and hope that we pass some of the same things on to Liam to make him become a wonderful man just like his dad.



I'm not usually one to go one and on about my husband. Frankly, at times he is well aware of how wonderful he actually is. But I digress, this is supposed to be a nice tribute to my hubby.

Right after Liam was born, Dan had written some lovely things about how it felt to be a new parent on our web site. Reading them choked me up... And seeing as I was already playing postpartum hormonal hockey, I about exploded with tears reading it. I was speaking with my sister on the phone after I read it, sobbing and telling her how wonderful Dan was. My c-section recovery was a difficult thing. I wasn't able to change my baby's diaper for the first 5 days of his life. Dan practically changed us both, did all the laundry and made sure I was fed so I could feed Liam.

My sister said an amazing thing to me. She had told me how, similarly, her husband had spectacularly stepped up to the plate when her babies were born. She said, "This is one of those moments that you know you married the right guy."

And how.

I get tears in my eyes... Not thinking about our wedding day... But thinking about how Dan helped me shower the first time post-op. How he got puked and pissed on by our newborn and still smiled and changed Liam for the 10,000th time while I was having a nervous breakdown because my incision wasn't healing. How he brought me dinner each night as I sobbed for no apparent reason. How he held my hand and held me together.



He is a great dad, husband and friend. A great man.

Still, Dan is your typical guy. He watches football obsessively. He loves to play Madden on Playstation. He throws Liam around after dinner while I cringe and wait for the food to come back up. He makes up songs for Liam and plays with the dogs while giving me a few minutes to myself. He also leaves his clothes on the floor, the toilet seat up, and the cereal box open on the counter.

I wouldn't trade him for anything!

8 Comments:

  • At 8:18 AM, September 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN!

     
  • At 9:24 AM, September 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN!

     
  • At 10:07 AM, September 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Birthday, Dan!!
    And I think Dan is just as lucky to have you as you are to have him!

     
  • At 8:45 PM, September 16, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    Big ups to Dan. OBVIOUSLY he's a smart... and I mean SMAAAHHT ... for being with you..... but this is about Dan.


    Happy birthday, Dan. here's to Susie having some wine and you getting lucky tonight!

    XXOO

     
  • At 10:22 PM, September 16, 2005, Blogger WILLIAM said…

    Happy B day Dan.

     
  • At 11:14 PM, September 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a GREAT guy you have.

     
  • At 12:00 AM, September 17, 2005, Blogger Claire said…

    Happy Birthday, Dan! Cheers to you for being such a great hubs and daddy. And ESPECIALLY for taking care of the little woman (and little man) when it really counts.

     
  • At 10:50 AM, September 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy birthday, Dan! Sounds like somebody was awfully glad you were born. I bet it's vice versa, too.

    Susie, I didn't know where to tell you this, but this seems as good a place as any to delurk: I LOVED the comment you left a while back at Sarcastic Journalist, about feeling like a voyeur as you read about BlogHer. It just plain cracked me up (along with your standup comedy-spotlight analogy), and I'm so glad it led me over here. I like your style, lady.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home