Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Waxing* Nostalgic

Why is it that while we don't host Thanksgiving, my house becomes a casualty anyway? My Fabulous Baker Boy husband does some damage. I fail to put away all the non-perishable groceries due to my severe housekeeping ADD. Add to it two pugs who track muddy paws and cookie crumbs and a son who is walking so he likes to "reorganize" by carrying an item from one location, say... my wallet, and deposit it in another, say... the toilet.

So whilest I scrub like the scullery maid my sister dubbed me as when I was 13, I've been listening to my holiday music.

I HEART holiday music. A wicked lot.

To you non-New Englanders - that means I really really love it.

Anyway as I listen while making the kitchen glisten
And I wax* as it wanes
And I shine as it winds...

I was thinking of my favorite holiday songs.

I must have my Baby It's Cold Outside with Dinah Shore and Buddy Clark. I must have several versions of O Holy Night - Josh Groban, Martina McBride and maybe even Celine Dion. That is my favorite true Christmas song. It can actually bring me to tears if I've had a little wine... I need me some Sleigh Ride with the Boston Pops Orchestra. And do not leave out Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives. Oh and throw in Looks like a Cold, Cold Winter by Bing Crosby. And if you put that in you might as well include Bing and David Bowie singing Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth.

Ok I need to stop because there are many more. In fact, Pottery Barn has a fantastic CD set which includes a great selection. Many of my choices come from that. A great gift!

I wonder as I wander, Internet: What is your favorite holiday song? What makes you feel good and/or festive?

*Please do not entertain the thought that I wax anything other than my eyebrows on occasion.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:15 PM, November 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives! :)

     
  • At 10:57 PM, November 30, 2005, Blogger Claire said…

    The holidays are NOT the holidays in my house without Harry Connick's When My Heart Finds Christmas CD. Other than that I am pretty much a sucker for anything done by Bing or the Dean-o or Nat King Cole. All this new crap can burn in easy-listening hell.

     
  • At 10:05 AM, December 01, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    I just got a great CD Christmas-compilation that I'm about to listen to... I'm sure it's going to be good.

    but other than that... my favorite non-christmas-but-makes-me-THINK-of-christmas CD is Rattle and Hum by U2.

    but other than that... hearing Silent Night in church will make me weep every time. 2nd place is Oh Holy Night for the tear-jerker set.

     
  • At 11:17 AM, December 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Silver Bells, Winter Wonderland, Anything by Harry......

    O Holy Night is a fav of mine too.....

    Merry Christams Suz!

     
  • At 2:02 PM, December 01, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes yes to O Holy Night.
    But I'll tell you: when the Little Drummer Boy says, "I have no gift to bring...shall I play for you?" I bawl.

     
  • At 8:45 PM, December 06, 2005, Blogger Jewl said…

    Don't get me started on the Christmas music, it is ALL making me cry! LOL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home