Tuesday, October 25, 2005

More whine?

Surviving the day as a sick parent of a healthy toddler is challenging. Of course this is part of the sacrifice you make when having a child. No more days in bed with a box of Kleenex, the remote and frequent naps.

Keeping Liam amused is what is killing me. I have gone through the regular activities and toys and books we play with every day. He looks at me strangely as my laryngitis causes Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You? to make every animal sound like a dying cat. The book isn't as fun when Mama can't make the owl Hooo! Hoo! or the clock Tick Tock! Plus if I don't do it the way he wants, the twerp turns the page back or worse! Signs "more" and throws the book at me. Again Mama - till you get it RIGHT!

So to keep us both sane, I've given him more liberal access to the house. Play with boxes of Ziplocs? Sure!! Just don't eat them. Wrestle with the dogs? Why not!! Watch Dora the Explorer (for all of 5 minutes) Sure!!! What else do you want to watch? Look! Wiggles! Sesame Street! General Hospital! Oprah! Flonase commercials!

I just don't have it in me to be as hands on Mom as I am typically. And let's face it - being hands on is being germs on. And I'm trying like HELL to keep him from getting sick. Liberal application of hand sanitizer. My hands are starting to resemble slabs of raw meat but that's OK!! It's better than a sick toddler!

God love him, he is still so goooooood. Maybe he is still too young to realize that we've been trapped in this house together for THREE DAYS. And he's still at the age where a cup is soooo amazing. And is that a plastic coat hangar? Oh my goodness MAMA have you SEEN this thing?

While we have been stuck inside we have been working on new signs. He understands a lot of signs but is still getting the hang of doing them himself. A lot of his signs are a somewhat crude versions of original. Let's make a list of the signs he can do, shall we?
more
eat
drink
milk
sleep
hat
airplane
bye-bye
"soooo big"

We are currently working on the signs for "hurt" and "help."

I'm going to go lay down now and rest for the rest of Liam's afternoon siesta. Hopefully! One day! You can check my blog and I won't whine about! Being sick! !! !!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:37 AM, October 26, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whine all you want...it's hard!! You are doing a fantastic job. Feel better!
    And get those animal sounds right the first time, will ya??

     
  • At 12:24 PM, October 26, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    so all that aside.... what I'm curious about is how you teach the sign for hurt??? I mean... I rememeber how my brother taught me what "hurt" means..... let's just say I caught on to that one pretty quickly!


    just kidding... that's so great he's learning his signs... way to go, Liam!!!!

    I'm hoping you'll be feeling better soon, Momma-Sus.....

    big hugs!!!

     
  • At 12:43 PM, October 26, 2005, Blogger Susan said…

    I have two words for you: hot toddy. Thera-Flu will also work, but really, wouldn't you rather have the toddy?

    I may have one in your honor . . .

    Feel better soon.

     
  • At 12:50 PM, October 26, 2005, Blogger WILLIAM said…

    I hope you feel better.

    Aren't the signs great?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home