Sunday, October 30, 2005

Seven small steps for Liam... One Giant Leap for Parenthood

I truly believe that one cannot truly begin to understand and appreciate one's parents until one becomes a parent themselves. I don't say this in a snobbish way, it simply feels to be a fact for me. Maybe it's just me - but I prefer to make blanket statements and apply my truth to everyone. Makes me feel more "normal."

This weekend I spent time with both my in-laws and my parents. I have to say I'm truly lucky. Both sets of parents are great. Each has wonderful aspects as well as not-to-fabulous (What? Who? I did NOT just say that!) But the wonderful ALWAYS trumps everything else. Each is generous in different ways. Both love Dan and I. Both ADORE and DOTE on Liam.

So as I look at my son and grow particularly proud of his achievements, which - by the way - are just mindboggling in the first 14 months of life, I tend to take a step back and think about Liam's grandparents. Wow. Is this the way it felt for them? To see us grow and charm and conquer? Because this feeling I get... when I have a particularly proud moment with Liam? It's STAGGERING. It's OVERWHELMING. It rocks my world. It shakes my heart - squeezing and filling it at the same time. My body hums as if if he is still a part of me... as if he is still existing because my heart is pumping blood to his body. My eyes sting with tears that may or not be shed. My body feels flushed. My whole being is transfixed to his.

Parenthood. It is a very heady experience.

Liam took his first seven steps across the room from Dan to my dad today.

I thought my heart was going to explode out of my chest.

7 Comments:

  • At 9:11 PM, October 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is great!!! I am glad you all got to see his first steps. Better get your rest now that Liam is on the move!

     
  • At 8:22 AM, October 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations!
    This is a real turning point.

     
  • At 9:15 AM, October 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is amazing Suz! You will love this new stage.

     
  • At 9:28 AM, October 31, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    GO LIAM!
    Suz, that is so exciting! Congrats!

     
  • At 9:30 AM, October 31, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    CONGRATS to Liam!!!!! now teach him to stick his thumb out and hitch a ride to come see me so I can squeeze him in person!


    XXOO

    seriously... congrats!!!

     
  • At 2:23 PM, October 31, 2005, Blogger WILLIAM said…

    Congrats. Woohoo!


    Pssttt. It's gonna get fun now. Get the excedrin ready.

     
  • At 10:13 PM, October 31, 2005, Blogger Susan said…

    I know what you mean about your own child changing your perspective about your parents.

    I feel like I should apologize to my parents every time I see them. Just for all the random stupid stuff I've done (and that I hope to god my sons don't do.)

    Hooray for walking Liam!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home