Friday, September 30, 2005

Mama Body Drama

Ok I've written about this before but I'm having a hard time with my post-pregnancy body. I'm a bit of an obsessive personality and so it's inevitable that I obsess about myself.

So since we are going there - if you are still with me... (Oh shit, is she talking about this AGAIN?! What a bore!) It's not EVEN so much as just my love tire. My feet!! Yes! My feet are wider. I get callouses on my feet where I never did before! Some of my cute shoes - yeah not so cute with my feet bulging out!

My skin! I was a pretty lucky adolescent - I got the occasional zit on my chin. (Oh My God but tomorrow is the big dance and Steve will never ask me to dance with a big zit on my chin!) Now? I'm breaking out like a 15 year old in the throws of puberty! I bought the washes and creams at CVS. Then I upgraded and bought some Origins stuff. Then I bought some philosophy products. Previously, in my pre-baby body - philosophy always did the job. I guess that was when I had about HALF the hormones that I have now.

My mother-in-law works in a dermatologists office and I know I could get in when I want to, but I held back because I figured if they wanted to treat it - it might interfere with breastfeeding. So I waited. And broke out. And broke out some more. It would clear almost all the way, then I'd get my period and BOOM. Civil war of the zits... my forehead versus my right cheek. What the HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL???? White flag! White flag!

So I decided to buy some of that Proactiv stuff they do the informercials with on television. I mean if it worked for Jessica Simpson and Diddy (a.k.a. Sean Combs, formerly P. Diddy, formerly Puff Daddy)??? So I'm on like Day 5 and while my skin feels better to the touch - I got a couple new zits. Maybe they were coming anyway. I figure I'll give it a couple weeks before going to the dermaologist. The skin care regime for Proactiv is very labor intensive. There is much gentle scrubbing, cotton ball toning, and lotioning. Not too much or you'll dry out! Not too little or nothing will change! Goldilocks, you gotta get it juuuuuuust right!

There are so many things no one tells you about having a baby and the post-partum trickle down of body issues. I mean come on! We'd still have babies! Come clean, Mommas! What sorts of post-baby body issues have you discovered??

3 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, September 30, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am loving the deep purple stretch marks that won't go away.
    And the cellulite is always appetizing too.
    Ah...the good old days.

     
  • At 10:03 PM, September 30, 2005, Blogger Claire said…

    Susie, after I weaned Isaac I broke out WORSE than I had as a teenager. For me, it only stopped when I reached my second trimester with #2 :) Though I wouldn't necessarily prescribe pregnancy for clearing up your acne...

    Like dnyduck said, your hormones are psycho right now, and probably will be for several months, but it WILL improve on its own. I can understand your impatience -- I felt like a hideous pizza-faced monster for a time and would have given ANYthing for the zits to go away. But remember that other nursing moms like yourself have been through the terrible oiliness and come out the other side not permanently disfigured.

     
  • At 1:13 PM, October 01, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    hmmm... what.... body... issues?


    let's see... definitley the area that starts right below my hairline and goes down to.... MY TOES.


    damnit... it's all different. When that happy-sappy guitar player wrote about my body beign a wonderland... he was right. wondering what the hell happened?????


    I'm still gonna hump you, though, so don't even try scaring me with your pimples and shit.


    XXOO

     

Post a Comment

<< Home