Wednesday, January 11, 2006

And That's How I Got the Footprint on My Chest

So Liam and I are trying to adjust to his new choice of nap schedule. Lately he prefers one. From about 11-1:30pm. But since it's new I haven't been straying from the house before the 11am nap much. When he wakes around 1:30 - it's late lunch time and by the time he's done and cleaned up we are looking at 2pm. So at that point to go anywhere, I need to determine if I want to deal with after-school chaos or evening traffic. Because I've been tired lately, I opted to stay at home the past two days.

Today we NEEDED to get out. So a bit before 3pm we headed out. Where? To the local library.

We arrived, headed in and asked where the children's room was - of course it was downstairs. I recalled that was the location of the children's room at my library growing up. I brought Liam past the computers and the big kid books, back to where the window seats were surrounded by comfy chairs and huge stuffed animals. Then I put him down.

He thought the place was pretty cool. He squeezed a couple of the stuffed animals and fell on top of a big Raggedy Andy doll and gave him kisses. Then he decided...

It was time to run.

I guess he hasn't really been in a big open space since he has gotten as proficient in mobility as he is. And those little legs... they were made for arunnin'. As much as an 16 month old can run I guess. He kept me moving, that is for sure.

So we ran around the bookshelves til we spotted something interesting. A rocking chair needing rocking. A bead game needing playing. A real live parakeet needing talking to. And of course the other children. Who needed to be stared at. Very closely.

Interestingly enough, children who looked at me like I was STRANGER DANGER yet were happy to talk to Liam. Until he grabbed for their crayons. And people, we all know schoolyard ettiquette on crayons. No STEALING!

So I unhanded the bandit and he screamed and everyone stared... kids looking at me like I was kidnapping him. Other mothers smiling encouragingly and relieved it was me and not them.

I brought him back to the picture books and we read one and had a drink and snack and then the legs flailed and he said "dahn" several times. So I did and off he went again. This time directly to the bead maze game. Where we hung out until approached by an older man with a plastic badge that said Library Volunteer. His first comment to Liam, after hello, is "Well this little guy doesn't look like he misses a meal!"

I digress for a moment to ponder than more often than not, older people comment on Liam's size. "Oh he's chubby" "He's eating well!" Or the elderly woman folding fliers at another table who later said "If I had a pin I would pop those cheeks!" Really? HOW ODD. Liam is big for his age I know but pretty proportionate. I think people think he's older and assume he shouldn't have baby fat? Aren't babies SUPPOSED to have round cheeks? Does anyone WANT to see a gaunt baby?

Anyway, while the older man was closing in, my head was ticking the countdown until Liam feaked out. I am not sure how to handle these moments. Is it ok to say "Please don't get too close, he thinks you are scary?" The man reached a hand out to the toy we were playing with and Liam reached zero. Crying. Lunging for my neck. Crawling up my face.

"Did I scare him?"

Hrm... no.. I think he is afraid of tiny Tweety bird over there. "Yeah I think a little."

I know, I know... he was trying to be nice. I think. He kinda looked pissed off at Liam for getting upset and then just stalked off. WHATEVER DUDE! After I finally calmed Liam down, he was watcing for the guy and would point him out whenever we saw him. Yes Liam there is the Stranger. It's ok. We are ok. OHHHH KAAYYYYY. Yes. Us. Really. OK.

We ran some more, Liam kept stopping to stare at some little boys playing a video computer game. (Yeah the signs are a go for future video nerd like Dada). He would get real close almost touching them. I was just afraid he would slap at the keyboard like he does to our laptops and ruin the poor kid's game.

Just trying to keep the local library peace, people.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:49 PM, January 11, 2006, Blogger Claire said…

    Yeah, Isaac digs the library, too...but we haven't been back there since Isaac took off running and I, in my whale-like state, couldn't catch up with him fast enough and HAD TO ASK A LIBRARIAN WHICH WAY HE WENT. I'm surprised my heart continued to beat past that adventure. We need to work a little on our staying-near-mommy skillz, I think.

     
  • At 8:49 AM, January 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG I had to laugh. Kendal is afraid of old people too. What is it with that?!?

     
  • At 8:52 AM, January 12, 2006, Blogger WILLIAM said…

    Did he Poop? Ya know for scientific purposes..

     
  • At 9:51 AM, January 12, 2006, Blogger Carrie said…

    I'm convinced older people were taught to starve their children in their day. Perhaps a by-product of surviving the depression???

    if it makes you feel any better, the fogies down here are constantly telling me how chubby RHENA is....


    anyways... glad you guys got out of the house... even if it did up the stress level a little. Tell Liam I like the bead game, too.

    XXOO

     
  • At 1:09 PM, January 25, 2006, Blogger Odd Mix said…

    He's NOT chubby, he has nice round cheeks. All in all a very cute kid!

    I second carrie's comments. Having had two babies fail (for a short period of time, thank GOD) to thrive, skinny babies make me worry.

    Libraries are so much fun with little ones, especially when the kids area is slightly isolated from the general stacks. I went to one Library where the kids books were adjacent to the reference section and the fiche readers. Morons.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home