Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Set This Load on the Sleep Cycle

Why oh why did I mention sleeping and Liam's good day in the same post?

So he woke this morning crying at 1:30am. Now I haven't blogged much about it, but my sleep has been very poor since the holidays. I am waking every night/morning around 3am and I can't fall back asleep until about 5am. Then Dan's alarm goes off at 6am most days. Then I fall back asleep around 7am and Liam wakes between 7:30-8am. I have no idea why I'm waking. But my brain has a hard time shutting off from an endless spin cycle of "Things to Do" and "Dumb Things to Fret About" in the wee early hours of the morning.

So last night I medicated with 2 sleep pills (just over the counter stuff from T*lenol - nothing hardcore), and was into the Land of Nod shortly thereafter.

Until 1:30am. When the crying began. Now I have typical dealt with these rare, RARE awakenings from Liam. They have happened when Dan was away. Or they have happened only a couple hours after his bedtime. So for some reason or another I have taken the lead.

Last night Dan popped out of bed and went to see to Liam. This went on for a few moments before I realized lights were on so I sprang from bed to find Dan reading Liam a book. I totally understand that Dan was feeling all those feelings I had experienced the first couple of times this happened on my watch. He must be sick! He must be sccared! He must be something! But he isn't really. We always check for fever, sickness, dirty diaper. He may have had a bad dream or whatnot but once he realized he could have company, he keeps crying whenever you put him down.

So I turned out the light and put Liam back into his crib with his binky with much MUCH protesting. But shortly after we left he quieted. He was awake til about 3am. Crying a bit here and there but mostly just trying to get back to sleep. I think Dan fell off around 2:30.

I had to get up at 3am and walk around. My restless legs were acting up and I needed to move. I eventually conked out on the couch downstairs around 3:30-4am. I woke up at 6:45am and went back to bed. Liam woke at 8am.

He seems fine - but I am EXHAUSTED, of course. He is watching The Wiggles now and bouncing up and down.

I cancelled out of playgroup because I knew Liam wouldn't last until noon without a nap. OR is it me who won't last?

5 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM, January 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Suz! Sorry you had such a rough night. Hope you get a chance to rest today!

     
  • At 11:01 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Mieke said…

    I feel your sleep-deprived pain. I had to get a script for Ambi*n to get some rest. I go to bed around nine now to try to survive my 4 and 5am wake ups.

     
  • At 11:44 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Claire said…

    Oh, you poor woman. I am SO in there with you. Isaac is 21 mos old and still doesn't sleep through the night. And then now that baby #2 is so large and uncomfortable on my bladder I also have to get up several times. We usually start our morning, when the wake-up is for real, with Isaac watching an hour of the Disney Channel on my lap while I fall in and out of sleep. I'm hoping both of us get better at this sleeping thing REAL damn quick. I hope the same for you and Mr. L.

     
  • At 8:52 AM, January 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Suzie got the jimmy legs.

     
  • At 12:35 PM, January 11, 2006, Blogger Carrie said…

    he he heh..... you said LOAD.


    just kidding.... big hugs, momma..... hope you can get some rest soon!!! XXOO

     

Post a Comment

<< Home