Monday, February 13, 2006

Empathy Woman! Squeeze Her and See Real Tears Fall from Her Eyes!

Many of you have been following the story of my friends Karen & Derek. They are doing better - the best under the circumstances I guess. Spending some time together. Taking turns with bad moments and good moments.

I have a hard time with pain brought to me by people close to me. Like really hard time. I empathize to the point where I'm physically drained and spent. And what is kicking my ass currently is the realization that I haven't had to exert much of this emotion for Liam yet. His first schoolyard ridiculing? His first major injury? His first heartbreak? All ahead.

I was speaking with my friend Jeff and joked that if I had a superpower it would be the Power of Empathy. I feel things so deeply it can set me off for a week. Katrina left me wasted for well over a week. The sudden death of my cousins' father... depressed. Karen and Derek...complete sadness. Weeping whenever I think of them both or discussing the situation.

Of course this also works to the opposite extreme. I get so happy and excited for others happiness and good fortune. My sister is getting a new kitchen and I'm so excited for her to have such a nice new thing! My friend Ang is pregnant and I feel almost as excited (maybe even more to an extent?) as when I got pregnant.

While my superpower can be a curse and a blessing I guess I have to take it as a blessing. Because I know there are many people out there who don't or can't feel things so deeply. That don't truly live in the moment.

And that is enough to make me cry.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:05 PM, February 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    that is what makes Suz, Suz.....

    Happy V day! Hugs.....

     
  • At 3:39 PM, February 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is an interesting post. I think that many people see me as child-like (as opposed to childish!) because I feel things SO DEEPLY. For a long time I ignored that part of me and got drunk instead but now! I'm the crying secretary! The hell with professionalism! Honestly, I get exhausted by the highs and lows and I am always surprised when people are surprised by that aspect of my personality.
    My son is six and I'm already worried about the drive-by shooting I'll have to do the first time I girl breaks his heart. Cause you know it will happen...boys are so...TENDER.

     
  • At 3:59 PM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Susie said…

    Felicity - I figure people think I'm bi-polar or something. I'm not! I'm normal - I just am moved by people, events. I'm able to put myself in someone's place almost completely. like you said, it's exhausting.

     
  • At 4:10 PM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Carrie said…

    When a good man is hurt all who would be called good must suffer with him.

    ~ Euripedes



    XXOO love you!

     
  • At 4:25 PM, February 14, 2006, Blogger Susie said…

    Aw girl you just went and made me cry. Damn this empathy thing!!! not really but just sayin'.... :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home