Tuesday, April 12, 2005

WWM*

I was staring at this blank posting page last night trying to summon something to write about. I had a bad day yesterday and I just couldn't think of a damn thing I wanted to write about.

Later on, as I lay awake in bed thinking about how much my husband must hate me because, once again, we weren't getting it on, I thought why not just tell the world of my day as the WWM?

- Day started out wonderfully as Liam slept until almost 8am! There was much rejoicing!

- I realized neither Dan or myself had done anything with several checks Liam received at his Baptism. A MONTH AGO. Hi yes I'm the reason you can't balance your checkbook. (They were made out to Liam and we weren't sure what to do with them).

- We went to the baby sign class made up of...women who already know each other. Babies who like other babies!

- Liam does not seem interesting in hanging out with other babies. Why does my baby not want to socialize with other babies? We do it every week at Gymboree and now every other week with playgroup. He just stares at them and when they get too close he gets po'd and/or cries. What more can I do?

- Liam doesn't like anything after 45 minutes - the class was 1.5 hrs. But I had the only baby who fussed through the 2nd half of the class. We were even used as an example ("When Liam knows signs he will be able to tell his mother what he wants." Yeah lady - I don't need a sign to know that he wants the hell out of here!)

- When we left the class, I had a blinding headache - I think from allergies - which I may or may not get from one year to the next.

- I got home as Dan was pulling the driveway (he took the day off to watch the Red Sox get their Championship rings). He did not go to the bank with the checks but rather to some auto part store to get something for his car.

- I plopped Liam down on the living room carpet to play while I went in search of lots and lots of Advil. I sat him too close to the coffee table [foreshadowing!! foreshadowing!!].

- When Dan came inside with the dogs, per usual they ran to Liam to sniff him and give him kisses. Lily leaned in, Liam leaned back...then in slooooooowwwwwwww moooooootionnnnnn...

Liam fell backwards and smacked the back of his head on the bottom shelf of the coffee table. It was LOWWWWD. Then it was silent. Then The Pain Scream began.

- My right eye was throbbing with migraine pain as I scooped him up, had Dan get a booboo bunny and we rocked and rocked.

- The welt on the back of his head turned into a little goose egg. I felt so bad; my eyes kept tearing. Dan said "If you told me he was falling I would have jumped to catch him." Why is it that while it happened in slow motion, it still happened too fast for me to say more than "oh no."

- Liam finally calmed down with some comfort paci and cuddling. Then he was tired.

- "Mumma, how can you expect me to nap with a sore bump on the back of my head?"

- Eventually he nodded off by nursing. Mind you, I still had a migraine and, at this point, I was wondering, "Hmm when I vomit, should I lean towards the other side of the couch? Or onto the new carpet? so as not to wake Liam?"

- I didn't vomit. Dan put Liam to bed, then I went to bed for 2 hours. When I woke feeling more like my normal self, Dan had fed the dogs and was in the process of feeding Liam dinner.

- Dan went to get our taxes done and I put Liam to bed. He was tired and went down easy.

-He woke up at 9:15 SCREAMING. Dan tried to pat him and get him back to sleep. He rocked Liam a bit and when he put him back in the crib, Liam screamed more. Dan left thinking we'd let him cry it out. Five minutes of major-tear-your-heart-out-of-your-chest-crying, I went up and nursed him - he ate like he was starved and finally relaxed to sleep. It must have been that Dan missed his dinner bottle while I was sleeping.

Today has been Fussy Day since he got up. Not much swelling on his bump, no bruise. He is currently screaming at me from his Exersaucer so that's all she wrote for today.

* World's Worst Mother

3 Comments:

  • At 12:07 PM, April 12, 2005, Blogger Carrie said…

    Susie---

    it's ok.... he's ok, you're ok.... really... you're NOT a bad mom!

    I mena... it's not like you dropped him head-first into his own hamper after tripping on the footrest for the rocker when he was just about three months old. (oh wait... that was US.... silly me.....)

    Kisses to the little guy and hugs to the mom.... may the bumps in Liam's Road through Life always be this small.... XXOO

     
  • At 12:10 PM, April 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Susie-Q -

    You are honestly one of the best moms I know.
    Things like that happen to all of us.
    Liam is one lucky guy to have such a wonderful mum!
    Hang in there.

     
  • At 1:55 PM, April 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hugs to you sweetie! I know that must've been so scary. Liam's a tough little booger..you know that! If Dylan can survive a fall onto the concrete from 5 feet up, Liam can survive this bump to the head. I'm sure there will be many more surprises to come. Don't ya just love them?!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home